SIAG on Optimization
 How to join SIAG/OPT
 SIAG Newsletter
SIAG/OPT Views-and-News is the newsletter for the SIAM Activity Group on Optimization. Topics covered include announcements of conferences, forthcoming books, new software, electronic archives, research questions and job openings. If you would like to submit an article to this newsletter please send your contributions by email directly to one of the editors, Sven Leyffer and Franz Rendl. All submissions must be in Latex format and preferably in doublecolumn format.
 Posting to SIAG/OPT
You may post messages to the SIAG/OPT membership by sending mail to opt for redistribution. Typical messages include announcements of new books, new papers, conferences, workshop and job positions. For further questions contact the opt list manager.
 SIAG/Optimization Prize
Prize Committee for 2011:
- Yinyu Ye, Stanford University (Chair),
- Shabbir Ahmed, Georgia Tech
- Philip Gill, University of California - San Diego
- Etienne de Klerk, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- Jean Philippe Richard, the University of Florida
The deadline for the nomination was: December 1, 2010.
Nominations, together with a pdf version of the paper, should be submitted via email to one of the members of the Prize Committee before the deadline.
Guidelines and selection procedures for the prize.
The 2011 prize will be awarded to Christine Bachoc and Frank Vallentin in Darmstadt for their paper "New upper bounds for kissing numbers from semidefinite programming."
 SIAG/OPT Conferences
- Tenth SIAM Conference on Optimization, May 16-19, 2011, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Ninth SIAM Conference on Optimization, May 10-13, 2008, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Eighth SIAM Conference on Optimization, 15-18 May 2005, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Plenary lectures and information from the Seventh SIAM Conference on Optimization, 2002, Toronto, Canada.
- Sixth SIAM Conference on Optimization, 1999, Final Program.
 Other Sites of Interest
- Optimization Software Guide
- Benchmarks for Optimization Software
- Decision Tree for Optimization Software
- EUROPT: The Continuous Optimization Working Group of EURO
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Mathematical Optimization Society
- Michael Trick's Operations Research Page
- NEOS Guide
- NEOS Server
- Stochastic Programming Community Home Page
 Officer Nominating Committee (2010)
- Erling Andersen
- Kurt Anstreicher
- Michael Ferris (Chair)
- Martine Labbe
- Ariela Sofer
- Luis Vicente
 New Officers elected for 2011-2013
Congratulations to the following people who were elected to three year terms as officers of the SIAG from 2011 - 2013
- Michael Todd (Chair)
- Mihai Anitescu (Vice Chair)
- Miguel Anjos (Program Director)
- Marina Epelman (Secretary/Treasurer)
Many thanks to Hande Benson, Robert Freund, William Hager, Michael Hintermueller, and Kim-Chuan Toh for the willingness to participate in the election process.
 Informal Job Descriptions of Officers
- The chair of SIAG/OPT is responsible for overall leadership of the SIAG. Tasks include:
- Attendance of SIAG Chairs meeting at each SIAM National Meeting
- Writing Chair's column for SIAG Newsletter
- Co-chair of programming committee for SIAM Optimization Meeting
- Renewal of SIAG Charter
- Formation of nominating committee
- Chairing SIAG business meeting
- Oversight and management responsibility for SIAG activities
- The vice chair serves as the deputy for the chair, and is chair of the prize committee
- The Secretary of the SIAG shall keep a record of the affairs of the SIAG, handle correspondence, and submit the reports of SIAG activities. The Secretary is responsible for the production and distribution of SIAG newsletters (typically delegated to the editor of that publication) and for insuring that the information about the SIAG on the SIAM website is correct.
- The main task of the program director is to serve as co-chair (together with the president) of the program committee of the triennial SIAM Conference on Optimization. This entails selecting a location, appointing a program committee, and then, together with the program committee, selecting speakers and themes for the meeting. A second task is to ensure that optimization is well represented at the SIAM Annual Meeting during off-years. The program director, working with the other officers, tries to promote optimization throughout the SIAM community in general, for example, by soliciting minisymposia at other SIAM conferences or soliciting articles for SIAM News.
- The SIAG/OPT Views-and-News editor solicits articles or special issues for our newsletter, edits, and publishes each issue. The editor is appointed by the elected SIAG officers.
 Past officers of SIAG/Optimization
- 2008 - 2011
Chair: Michael C. Ferris Vice Chair: Yinyu Ye Program Director: Stephen A. Vavasis Secretary/Treasurer: S. Thomas McCormick
- 2004 - 2007
Chair: Kurt M. Anstreicher Vice Chair: Robert J. Vanderbei Program Director: Sven Leyffer Secretary/Treasurer: Kees Roos
- 2001 - 2003
Chair: Henry Wolkowicz Vice Chair: Philippe L. Toint Program Director: Anders Forsgren Secretary/Treasurer: Natalia M Alexandrov
- 1998 - 2000
Chair: Thomas F. Coleman Vice Chair: Stephen J. Wright Program Director: Virginia Torczon Secretary/Treasurer: Ariela Sofer
- 1995 - 1997
Chair: Jorge J. More' Vice Chair: C. T. Kelley Program Director: Philip E. Gill Secretary/Treasurer: Ekkehard W. Sachs
- 1992 - 1994
Chair: Andrew R. Conn Vice Chair: C. T. Kelley Program Director: David M. Gay Secretary/Treasurer: Jorge Nocedal
- 1989 - 1991
Chair: John E. Dennis Vice Chair: Andrew R. Conn Program Director: Michael L. Overton Secretary/Treasurer: Stephen G. Nash
- 1986 - 1988
Chair: Paul T. Boggs Vice Chair: Robert Schnabel Program Director: Richard Tapia Secretary/Treasurer: Thomas F. Coleman
- SIAG/OPT began operation in 1986